Saturday, November 1, 2008

Easy Saturday Ride and Kamikaze bugs

Well we bought Katie a bike a few weeks ago and started doing a Saturday morning ride together to get a little exercise and a cup of coffee. She is coming along really well, the first ride we found out she needed some handle bar adjustments since they were the straight bars we ended up putting bar ends on so it would feel a little more like a road bike position and that made it a lot better.

This morning we took the car into town and parked at the Starbucks at Old Spanish Trail and Harrison then rode to and through the monument. The back side of the monument is still a bit hard for Katie since it seems like it is straight up but it is getting a little easier for me and I am doing it in harder gears now than the first time I did it.

Today however I am writing to complain about the Grasshoppers or locusts or whatever they are that are as big as two of your fingers. We finally crested the backside of the monument and were coasting down the backside at a great pace (34 MPH) and this bug flies straight at me, I cannot swerve duck or do anything to get out of the way of this psychotic insect and it hits me square on the shoulder. Normally I would not complain about this but combine its speed coming at me, my speed and the sheer size of this thing and I am surprised it didn't knock me off my bike.

So let this be a warning to you all, watch out for flying bugs, they could just ruin your day

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful other than a few horny toads we say and the snakes Katie saw, these were enough to almost make her crash as well since she is so scared of them, on one occasion while she was shivering from the site of one snake she was hit by another kamikaze bug and with the combined effect of the snake and bug she almost rode off the road.

We arrived safe at last back at Starbucks for our coffee, I will be resting the rest of the day drinking water prepping for tomorrows big training group ride with GABA again which will be 90 miles. Can't wait, I will write again soon.

No comments: